Sunday, February 18, 2007

Chinese New Year or Asian New Year (Lunar) per my dearie friend VN-Gal - LOL!!!!



My experience living in Singapore for two years....I was able to celebrate one CNY...and I remembered it was such a HUGE celebration. I was working with this local chinese company...and they closed down for before and after of CNY and in addition with 2 days public holidays....

The company put it as a mandatory for everyone to use their 2 vacation days on the day before and after the CNY...I was like what the FUCH??? After all, I earned those vacation days...I didn't think it was right for a company to dictate me when to use MY hard earned vacation days...

The owner was sooo typical Stingy, Calculating, Chinese Singaporean (Sorry, I tried not to stereotype, but oh so true!) He couldn't even GIVE those two days FREE to US...!!!! He felt that he is THE MAN...so what he says go! No wonder working in Singapore was a totally a CULTURE SHOCK experience for me...everyone was so uptight, selfish and backstabber! All they could think about is WORK...WORK...WORK, MONEY..MONEY...MONEY.....IF you don't put looooong hours....if you leave on time each day...they consider you as a LAZY, worthless worker...yeah...WHATEVER...GET a LIFE!!!

OOOOPSY Daisy....back to the original subject...CNY in Singapore.....tangerines or oranges everywhere...it is a HUGE TRADITION!!!! People give each other tangerines was my favorite tradition because.....I LOVE eating them tangerines....FULL of VIT C!!!

According to the tradition: Oranges and Tangerines = Good Fortune!!!